|Participants at August's Stepping Stones. Photo © NZCA / Jo Dowling|
18 Feb 2018 – Enjoying the Curling from the Olympics? Want to be there in 2022?
Since my appointment as National Coach last year, I have been considering how best to work with our competitive athletes to support the goal of improving our international competitiveness.
I feel that the best way to make a real difference is to focus on those athletes truly committed to improving their skills over the long term. Those athletes that have the ability and potential to be successful international representatives over the next 5-10 years.
So I plan to form a High Performance Squad that will be the focus of my efforts over the next Olympic cycle.
The squad will work together as often as possible with the aim of improving their skills as individuals, as well as their contribution to the team(s) that they are members of.
Below is some information that may help individuals to decide whether they decide whether to put their name forward:
- My priorities will be Mixed Doubles and Under 21s. My involvement with the Open category will be to use this format to support the development of athletes to perform at MDs or Under 21s.
- The squad will only include athletes that are truly committed to improving their game. They will be required to commit to both on and off ice training between events and training camps, and be willing and available to travel overseas at least once a year to represent NZ. As a result I expect to be working with a relatively small number of athletes.
- Where teams are selected by the NZCA to represent NZ in WCF events – currently Open and Under 21 categories – I will be proposing that members of the squad are given priority consideration for selection.
- The winners of the Mixed Doubles Nationals will still have first right of refusal to represent NZ at the Worlds, however should they be unable to attend, I will be proposing that the team be selected with priority given to members of the squad.
- Winter Games – I will be proposing to the NZCA Exec and the organising committee that members of the squad are given priority consideration for selection.
I am ready to help those athletes most motivated as much as I possibly can, so consider your own motivations to improve, and then let me know if you want to be part of the squad.
How to Apply
Deadline for applications
- I would like to have a squad selected by the end of February, with the hope of using the MCI Doubles on the 22nd-25th March as the first chance to gather people together and start to make some plans. So, the deadline for applications is February 28th (the closing date for entries to MCI Doubles).
Happy to answer any questions or discuss things with any of you, so drop me an email or give me a call (021 432022).
Peter de Boer