Breakthrough win for Women's Champions

2015 NZ Women's champions
L-R: Eleanor Adviento, Thivya Jeyaranjan, Chelsea Farley and Tessa Farley

6 Jul 2015 – The New Zealand Curling Championships in Naseby last weekend featured a breakthrough win for the new Women's champions, and an eighth title since 2005 for winning Men's skip Sean Becker.

After taking silver in four of the last five years, Chelsea Farley and her team of Thivya Jeyaranjan, Tessa Farley and Eleanor Adviento struck gold to earn their first New Zealand Curling Championship title.

They went undefeated through the tournament, and cleared out to win an all-Auckland final 11-2 from Liz Matthews, Waverley Taylor, Glenys Taylor and Emily Whelan.

The Men's competition was much tighter before Sean Becker, Scott Becker, Tom Pendreigh and Warren Dobson edged out Peter de Boer, Warren Kearney, Iain Craig and Phil Dowling 6-4 in a tight final.

Team Becker finished top of the leaderboard of the Men's  round robin qualifier with a 5 win - 1 loss record. They were joined in the semi-finals by the teams of Hans Frauenlob, Peter de Boer and Peter Becker who all finished at 4-2.

Sean Becker faced Peter Becker in one semi-final, where Sean's 8-1 victory reversed the opening round loss to his father's side. The other semi-final was much closer before de Boer stole the last two ends for a 4-3 win against Frauenlob.

The second end of the Men's gold medal match proved crucial. Facing two Becker stones at the back of the rings, de Boer's last stone draw into an open house picked up a speck of debris on the ice and came up just short, to hand his opponent a steal of two and a lead they did not relinquish.

Frauenlob and his side of Dan Mustapic, Brett Sargon and Kieran Ford won the bronze medal match 6-1 against Peter Becker.


The four Women's teams played a double round robin qualifier, topped by Team Farley with six wins.

Liz Matthews and Wendy Becker both had a 3-3 record, including a win and a loss to the other. Team Matthews qualified for the final after all players from each team drew a single shot to the button, with the best three of each team being measured to give the total draw shot distance.

It was the second end of the Women's final that also proved decisive. Farley scored three points in the first, and when Matthews was unable to get her final draw inside four Farley counters in the second end they found themselves 7-0 down, a deficit that proved insurmountable.