17/18 - 20 Sep 2020
- Payment of a $100 team deposit will be required when you enter.
- Payment of the entry deposit should be made by direct deposit to the NZCA's Westpac account 03 0951 0014416 00. Please identify your deposit with "NZMD" and your name.
- The final tournament entry fee, draw and start date will be confirmed after entries close.
- Player eligibility and playing conditions are as set down in the New Zealand Curling Association Inc Competitions Procedures Manual and the WCF Rules of Curling.
- See below for an important change to the qualification process for the NZ team to compete at the 2021 World Championship
- Click here for the entry form – entries close Friday 7th August
Qualification Process for the NZ team to compete at the 2021 World Championship
Due to the exceptional circumstances caused by COVID-19 forcing the cancellation of the World Mixed Doubles Championships in April 2020, the NZCA has conducted a review of the selection criteria as it relates to selecting a team to represent NZ at the 2021 World Championships.
The NZCA Selection Committee has consulted with the High Performance Committee, and then with the broader Executive to reach a decision. Two primary factors were considered:
- Maximising our chances at Worlds 2021 – this event now acts as a direct qualifier to the 2022 Olympics, with, as things currently stand, the top 7 teams qualifying directly to the Olympics (plus China as host). The remaining 2 spots are scheduled to be played for in an OQE type event in late 2021. It was felt that relying solely on a single event to determine our representatives for these critical World Championships, may reduce our chances of Olympic qualification.
- Fairness – as National Champions for the last 2 years, and having shown a consistent commitment to train hard in the run-up to the 2020 event, it was felt that Jessica and Ben Smith were deserving of an additional opportunity to prove that they should represent NZ in 2021.
With these points in mind, the following decision has been taken and our selection policy document updated accordingly. Please note, at this stage, this decision only relates to qualification to the 2021 World Mixed Doubles Championships.
- The winners of the Nationals this year will NOT automatically gain the right to represent NZ at the 2021 World Championships
- There will be a further play-off, to be scheduled for late November / early December, with the winning team being nominated as our representatives.
- The participating teams at the play-off will be as follows:
– the winners and runners-up at Nationals, or
– the winners, runners-up and Jess/Ben Smith if Jess/Ben finish outside of the top 2, but inside the top 4 at Nationals.
- The play-off will be a best of 5 or a double round robin depending on the number of teams involved.
- All of the selection processes and policies remain as per the policy on the website